Tuesday 27 September 2011

Did I miss something ?


Looking outside the big glass window,
                             the extreme blue sky,
                             the chirping birds,
                             lustrous green trees;
                             no sane man in this world would have failed to notice such beauty,

And to my astonishment, I couldn't see it!!
What my eyes perceive doesn't even reach my mind; as he is busy processing
                the fact “ How late I am already running for office!”
It’s my daily routine to travel in what is known as Delhi Governement’s biggest achievement: the Delhi Metro.

I take the train at Pulbangash (Red Line) at 8:58 AM,
 leading me to Kashmiri gate,
 where I run atleast 5 floors down
 to catch my next train in the yellow line
 which leads me to Rajiv chowk;
 where I struggle my way upwards as people
 keep falling from every direction on staircase;
 for my last train at 9:17 to reach Botanical Garden.
 Hold on, the journey doesn't stop there! As I alight the metro, I have to run even faster to catch my office cab at 9:50. Yes, the journey pauses for a while, actually waits here!

I know that the non-Delhiites look forward to their Metro caravan as an historic event of their lives. But for a commuter like me, its a routine that has lost its charm and has been a mundane process for a while now.

Oh no! I am not telling you how much I struggle to reach office; but how my mind cannot forget this itinerary.
I try to distract him by reading my novel between these runs, but I do understand his helplessness!
I try to convince him, “Dear, it's ok to miss the train sometimes”; to which he instead tells me “Only I would bear its brunt!” Without much coercion, I confine in myself again; staring blankly at other humans or at times outside, when I am little lucky with the crowd. Sometimes I feel there is too much of silence; it disturbs me, and at other times the “Karaoke” of humans irritates me, and my mind is always busy listening to “Braino Clock!"

The boring untiring life has filled me with so much despair; I forget to notice,the little innocent hand embracing me, welcoming me to entirely a new experience of this disdain journey! I feel a stress, as this feeling causes a commotion between my heart and mind. He asks me
 “ Why do you always wish to initiate something which you cannot get? Why do you want to connect with someone when you have adjusted so well with this monotonous life?” 
To this queer question put by my mind, I very aptly answer,

"Ya I know that what you are saying  is an intelligent decision, and the easiest one too.But it is also true that my heart longs for this caressing touch; even if it is once in a while, it brings a sense of happiness, which can last long."

And now, my mind, examining enough of my patience, tells me that all this while, it was a test to let me know, how easily my heart has forgotten the beautiful times which meant so much to me. Its important to move on in life, but what is not important is becoming weak and adjusting to what the world throws at you.
"The Longer I live the more beautiful life becomes. If you foolishily ignore beauty, you will soon find yourself without it. Your life will be impoverished.But if you invest in beauty, it will remain with you all the days of your life."



4 comments:

hekkum said...

Something is missing :D
n though i am not a commuter like you, i still don't feel Metro carvan as an historic event, infact i miss mumbai local more than the Delhi Metro :P:D

Siddhartha Chitranshi said...

@Hekkum: ditto :D
@kriti: for you
dhoop mein niklo ghataon mein naha kar dekho
zindagi kya hai kitabon ko hata kar dekho



woh sitara hai chamakne do yun hi ankhon mein
kya zaroori hai use jism banakar dekho



paththaron mein bhi zuban hoti hai dil hote hain
apne ghar ki dar-o-deewar saja kar dekho



faasla nazaron ka dhoka bhi tho ho sakta hai
woh mile ya na mile haath badha kar dekho

Ankita Saikia said...

ye padhke i can only think of one thing...how do u manage to go to office evryday..changing 3 trains n then cab :O baapre i salute u :P

kritika said...

@hekkum : delhi doesnt have much of local trains thats why...and u havent yet travelled in airport express line

@siddhartha : haath kyun nahi badya tumne ???????? ;)

@ankita: i have seen many doing it . Not much of problem. In mrng it is excercise. in evening it is evening stroll...

Popular Posts